Orthodontics - Fixed Braces
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that specializes in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental and facial irregularities.
Orthodontists requires professional skill in the design, application and control of corrective appliances, such as braces and retainers, to bring teeth, lips and jaws into proper alignment and to achieve facial balance.
Who Needs Orthodontic Treatment?
Today children as well as adults are choosing to have orthodontic treatment since age is no longer a factor that governs the feasibility of the treatment. But as you grow older the duration of the treatment is increased since it is easier to shift and align teeth during the growth phase of the jaws. Orthodontic treatment corrects
- malocclusion (bite or occlusion is off)
- tooth malalignment (crooked teeth)
Why Treat Malocclusion?Orthodontics is not only used to improve your appearance. Malocclusion or malaligned teeth can have long term effects, such as:
- interference with normal growth and development of the jaws
- abnormal swallowing patterns
- abnormal facial muscle function
- impairment of chewing
- speech defects
- susceptibility to cavities due to the difficulty of removing plaque from crooked teeth vulnerability to accidents or fractured teeth (if your front teeth stick out, they may be more easily injured)